creative inspiration: favourite flower books

I've been revisiting some of my favourite sources of flower inspiration the past few weeks and thought I'd share them with you. Here's a short list of titles I keep on hand here at the shop.

flower books

The Flower Workshop by Ariella Chezar
This beautifully shot book is filled with advice and musings from a floral master.  A hefty read, the book is organized by season, by colour and by flower and showcases the authors well known love of rich hues and lush natural feeling designs. A novice flower arranger will enjoy this, but it also gives a look into the author's philosophy of design and and flower work that a more seasoned designer can enjoy too.

The Flower Recipe Book and The Wreath Recipe Book, by Althea Harampolis and Jill Rizzo of Studio Choo
I did a little review of the flower recipe book on the blog here, and this is still one of my favourites. A little more instructional than most of the other books in this list, this is a perfect book if you want to see some step by steps on making interesting arrangements. It's still inspiring and creative enough to interest a more veteran flower arranger too. We sell both these fab books at the shop.

Bringing Nature Home, by Ngog Minh Ngo, with arrangements by Nicolette Owen
This wonderful book is not an instruction manual at all, rather it showcases flowers in beautiful home environments, organized by season. A great book to leaf through for inspiration, especially for a florist that tends to see flowers in the retail shop environment rather than in a home setting. I received this book as a much appreciated gift from one of my designers.

Decorate with Flowers by Holly Becker and Leslie Shewring
I love how happy and casual this book is. It's filled with colour and quick creative projects to bring flowers into your everyday world. If you love popping flowers into unusual little pots and vases and setting up your table for parties, then this is the book for you! Filled with step by step instructions as well as great advice on choosing and using colour and containers.

Foraged Flora by Louesa Roebuck and Sarah Lonsdale
I purchased this very large book recently as a New Year's gift to myself, after hearing an interview with the florist-author Louesa on the Slow Flowers podcast. The book itself is so beautiful- the cover has a fabulous heavy feel to it, almost like flocked wallpaper, and paper inside has a wonderful weight to it too, which I love. As with the Bringing Nature Home book, this one is not a step by step, but more a journey through the eyes of a creative soul. Beautiful photographs of foraged and found blooms arranged in unusual homes and spaces, and a fascinating read as well.

There are many more amazing flower filled books on my "must have" list that I hope to get my hands on soon, but I also keep returning to these much loved ones. Every time I look through I feel inspired and revitalized and ready to get back to the work of flowers.


Comments

Popular Posts